What can we improve?

We know you have questions about Metrobay Comix. This is the place to ask them. We'll also ask you what you think of our stories and characters.
Doctor Robo

What can we improve?

Postby Doctor Robo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:21 am

This summer we plan to make some upgrades to MetrobayComix.com as we head toward the 6th anniversary of the site. In the spirit of self-reflection and improvement we would like to hear from you, our loyal members, and find out what you think we should work on in the coming months. So please feel free to leave a comment below and let us know what you think we can do to make the site and its stories more appealing and user-friendly.

Your suggestions can be about the structure of the site, the features (or lack thereof), the stories, the characters - anything you can think of. No idea is too large or too small. We can't promise we can address every suggestion that is mentioned, but we will certainly take each and every one under advisement and do our best to make visiting MetrobayComix.com and its component subsections a more pleasant experience for everyone.

Thanks in advance for your participation,

- Doc

cyberbobmkii

Re: What can we improve?

Postby cyberbobmkii » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:52 am

Warning, looooong post coming up. Also I apologize ahead of time if I come off rude, I've always had a hard time telling how I come of in posts.

1. As far as site functionality goes, the only thing that I'd really like to see is the return of the slideshow function.

2. Metrobay has severe character bloat. It seems that every new story adds at least one new heroine that is instantly forgotten as soon as the story is over. I get that when new writers join the Metrobay team they wnt to create their own characters so that they can do what they want with them, but we all ready have a large cast that seems to just sit on their butts doing nothing.

3. Add a day to every release date. It seems like 99% of the time a new issue will be uploaded on the day after the stated release day or so late that it might as well be the next day. It would relive some of the frustration of having to constantly refresh thought the day in hopes of seeing the new issue.

4. Lay of the civilians a bit. Metrobay advertises itsself as a Super Heroine comic seires, yet it seems lately that more and more time is being dedicated to the civilian characters than the heroines. And while don't mind the civis getting some screen time, I don't think that they should going on for so many issues. For instance, I really don't see why Making Freinds at most needed to be longer than 10 issues, let alone 20.

5. This one is pretty minor, but It's really a pet peeve of mine. If you have a character that is alone and need them to share some exposition or other dialog, please put the text in a thought balloon! It just looks really awkward to be see characters talking out loud to no one.

Other than that, some things I've mentioned before that I'd like to restate,
-Heroines treating their perils like It's no big deal.
-Focus on Drone Agenda stories that actually move the plot forward.
-Teasing stories that we won't be seeing for years
-Mabry try out that PET idea out?

teflon_tim

Postby teflon_tim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:57 pm

I have a couple of things to toss into the ring:

1) Looking at the main site I count twenty-three (23) active and "open" stories, and that doesn't take into account the "big" plotlines that are still ongoing (such as Drone Agenda and Apex Alliance) or the promised stories still in the pipeline (like Parasite Queen and Cell Block XXX). I think we all like variety, but to my point of view the current state of affairs seems almost like too much of a good thing. And to go along with that the updates are a bit... uneven. Some stories seem to get a more regular update schedule while others (Physique, Payback, One Shots in particular) haven't been touched on in several months. I know that we can't and shouldn't try to rush quality, but perhaps things are being spread a bit thin. If it were feasible, I'd rather see fewer stories that get updated a little more frequently.

2) Before I forget to mention it, I also miss the slideshow function. But that's a relatively minor thing.

3) I've also got to echo the concern about announced dates that something goes up vs. actual dates that something goes up. I always appreciate the quality of the final product (even if the content doesn't always jell with the things I like). But the times where a particular update is announced for [Date A] and then gets pushed back to [Date B] or even [Date C] seem to be happening more and more. It's one thing if real-life concerns involving health, finances, or family crop up; that happens to all of us and nobody should complain about that. But otherwise... well, especially given my #1 listed concern above, I'd just like to be able to count on seeing updates more timely.

Gripes aside, I still love the site overall, and I'm glad to see you all still plugging away and producing top-notch stuff for going on six years. Keep up the good work, and here's to another six years!

FinisterFoul

Postby FinisterFoul » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks for your honest feedback Cyberbobmkii and Teflon_Tim !!

We appreciate all feedback so we can improve the site.

Thanks a lot!

lods

Postby lods » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:10 am

In addition to fixing the gallery software a bit (the whole over-layed two images when you zoom in thing is weird) some times the names for the images aren't really consistent. It is a lot better than the past but it can sometimes get a bit random. (Doesn't have to be consistent across all stories but within the same story it would be nice.)

It would be nice if there was a place for you to show off/tease stories that were coming up but without a date and then you only post the date when you're pretty certain the date is the date (I think you kind of use DA for this but with the way DA has been acting I haven't really been going there a lot recently). It might help with showing what projects are going to get updates in the near future without having to put a date on it.

Also, converting the wiki over to a media-wiki so all the entries can easily have links between each other when they reference characters (and have searchable aliases, etc) would be cool (get this is probably very low on the list).

Getting really crazy with this suggestion but if there was an easy way to sort of flag an image if the grammar or spelling went completely bananas it would be a nicer way to bring it up instead of commenting in the thread about it (not expecting you to go back and fix everything but you have in the past revised some images that were confusing or had a crazy render bug).

Regarding the content, I think I've said all my thoughts elsewhere enough. But one new thing is that it would be kind of interesting if you guys had a series that was more single page released like once a week (think Expanded Universe or maybe Saint James Infirmary). It could be like super abridged one-shots and it could help flesh out some of the characters without devoting an entire series to them.

Anyway, thanks for the work of everyone on the site.

TheAngelicOne

Postby TheAngelicOne » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:55 pm

This is only a real minor nicpic as I'm mostly fine with however everything going on.

I think the number of comics currently running should be within a limit. With so many comics starts up, you run the risk of some comics going either very long without a new issue (Payback's a Bitch and some older request comics come to mind.) while you have the odd comic that has run for years and years due to long periods of no new issue or goes on too long in general (Love Nest comes to mind.). As a fellow artist I get it, sometimes you don't want to work on the same projects forever and want to do something new and fresh to drive the creative juices I get that (And does happen to me often), and all the comics you're doing are great, but should also be the drive to finish which ever comic's the closest to ending so you feel the satisfaction its in the can and complete and look forward to what new story you can now tell in its place. As a reader while the comics we get every month are still great, we are still left wondering about certain events or cliffhangers in those comics that are not updated in awhile like what exactly is going to happen to Pink Pussycat in Payback? A year of wondering and daydreaming of a possible sweet detailed evil conversion transformation, her end result and what she might do with her new mindset, yet we are no more closer to learning the fiendish fate.

Again, only a minor thing, I'm not a negative person by any means, just wanted to say a word. You guys are otherwise doing so great. :)

Balthazar Bludd

Postby Balthazar Bludd » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:09 am

Gotta say, I agree with many of the above suggestions. The only things I would add are -

1) A Metrobay 'Primer', so to speak - a set of essential stories to familiarize new readers with the Metrobay universe. Every time I go to the gallery, I never know where to start, and it's easy to get confused by some of the content because it's not in the wiki and relies on previous stories for background.

2) Overall progress to story arcs, in particular The Drone Agenda. The whole reason I started a Drone Agenda story was because I wanted to try something a bit different - the individual stories are hot but the arc hasn't progressed in ages. There has to be development of some kind or readers will eventually give up on a story. Maybe make it an 'event'.

Just my thoughts...

Balth

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on my question. I'm going to address some of the most common responses as best I can.

- Regarding the gallery and the slideshow function: We are in active discussions with our webhost about upgrading our members gallery software. I don't have to tell you it is woefully outdated and lacks some of the most basic functions, such as a slideshow. Those issues will be addressed in this update. However, updating the gallery is a VERY time-consuming process (which is why we have been putting it off) and will mean we can't add any new stories for the few days when the upgrades are taking place. So we're trying to figure out the best time to do it. We're looking at Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S., but that isn't set in stone yet. Stay tuned.

- Regarding the sheer number of open stories we have right now: We recognize this is a major issue, and we pledge to whittle them down to a more manageable number. I think part of the reason this happens is because our wonderful artists like to work with multiple writers at once, in addition to publishing their own content, and each writer has a different storyline he or she wants to pursue. Another reason is our contributors like to have a couple of different stories running at the same time to keep the creative juices flowing and cut down on the chance for burnout. Those are reasons, but not excuses. We do need to limit the number of ongoing stories we have at any one time. We will work on that, but it will take some time to wrap these stories up.

- Regarding publication dates: I have a day job, as do our contributors. Occasionally, and unfortunately with more frequency than we would like, our updates have to be delayed by a day or two (or three...) because real life gets in the way. Illness, work, vacation, family, computer problems, etc. can all contribute to an update being late. Again, those are reasons, but not excuses. As far as the time of day an update is posted, I typically work on Metrobay late at night and on weekends. That's why you see most of our updates, which I publish, posted anywhere from 11:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. eastern time. I try to get them in before midnight, but it doesn't always work out. I do understand the frustration with updates not appearing on their scheduled date. It isn't acceptable. We will work harder to make sure we hit our scheduled deadlines.

- Regarding a timeline of our stories: As many of you know, Tecknophyle created an impressive and detailed chronology a couple of years ago, but - through no fault of his - it hasn't been updated in a while. We should update and republish it, as we recognize how valuable it is to new and veteran readers alike. We have also discussed creating a subfolder in the members gallery which contains several of our "essential" works, so new members can quickly get up to speed on who some of our core characters are and what storylines have really shaped the Metrobay universe to this point. That could be something we can add to the new gallery once it is ready to relaunch.

- Regarding the number of characters: This is honestly a side effect of having so many talented artists and writers contributing stories to the Metrobay universe over the past several years. In addition to using some of the characters we have already established, I have encouraged our contributors to create new ones in order to continue to world-build and allow everyone a larger sandbox to play with. This goes for civilians as well as heroines. Does that mean we have too many? Perhaps. But I think that's a good problem to have, especially if we can do a better job of recycling older characters instead of creating new ones which are too similar and duplicate some of those same character traits. We could certainly do a better job of policing that.

- Regarding "The Drone Agenda": I FUCKING GOT IT.

Just kidding! :P In all seriousness, TDA will begin to end - if that makes sense - with "Cell Block XXX", which will start as soon as we are done with "Caught in the Headlights" - which only has a handful of chapters left. So the end is in sight. You might need enhanced vision to see it, but it's there. I promise!

Thanks again for the great responses. These really help us devise a clear strategy for MetrobayComix.com moving forward. Please keep the answers - and questions - coming!

- Doc

jabbers

Postby jabbers » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:- Regarding the sheer number of open stories we have right now: We recognize this is a major issue, and we pledge to whittle them down to a more manageable number. I think part of the reason this happens is because our wonderful artists like to work with multiple writers at once, in addition to publishing their own content, and each writer has a different storyline he or she wants to pursue. Another reason is our contributors like to have a couple of different stories running at the same time to keep the creative juices flowing and cut down on the chance for burnout. Those are reasons, but not excuses. We do need to limit the number of ongoing stories we have at any one time. We will work on that, but it will take some time to wrap these stories up.

I don’t mind the number of stories so much as their length and sometimes the way they are structured. The short stories that are only a few updates long are fine to run alongside longer stories. The longer stories (and massive arcs) sometimes get stuck in the middle where the rising action lacks any crises and there's no hint of a climax, allowing dramatic tension to dwindle to nothing.

For the most part, the content has largely oriented around MC/TF which means many similar plots with similar structure. Some of these stories are definitely more narrative than others but there are lulls when individual story updates seem entirely dedicated to portraying their particular variation on the theme to the neglect of any story advancement. On the complete opposite end, some updates spend pages on exposition, going into detail about the process, also to the neglect of any story advancement. When these updates get lined up on the release schedule, there isn't a lot to interest anybody who isn't personally invested in those featured variations.

Creative variety makes sense but if that constitutes minor variations on the same theme with a familiar plot structure, it isn’t as interesting to me. Shorter stories might allow authors to explore their interests while forcing them to condense more action/story into each update. Fewer ultimately uneventful updates can at least keep uninvested readers curious. As pointed out by someone else, Making Friends is one currently running example of a story that could have been a fraction of its length.

Doctor Robo wrote:- Regarding publication dates: I have a day job, as do our contributors. Occasionally, and unfortunately with more frequency than we would like, our updates have to be delayed by a day or two (or three...) because real life gets in the way. Illness, work, vacation, family, computer problems, etc. can all contribute to an update being late. Again, those are reasons, but not excuses. As far as the time of day an update is posted, I typically work on Metrobay late at night and on weekends. That’s why you see most of our updates, which I publish, posted anywhere from 11:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. eastern time. I try to get them in before midnight, but it doesn’t always work out. I do understand the frustration with updates not appearing on their scheduled date. It isn’t acceptable. We will work harder to make sure we hit our scheduled deadlines.

I think this could be a lot less painful if late releases weren’t rescheduled to avoid conflicts. It may not be fair to creators but it can be frustrating if the conflicting story updates in the meantime aren't as personally interesting as what was past due. I think some balance in story content might help too. A delay in an MC story is covered by several MC story updates in the meantime. A delay in a bondage story means several more days added to the week (at least) since the last remotely similar update.

Ideally, I’d like to see fewer stories being updated more frequently. I’ve never had the sense that creators could respond to feedback with any immediacy because their stories were already planned out anyway. Perhaps it makes sense to publish stories after a significant part has already been completed. There’s less chance of delayed updates and more frequently updated stories are more likely be to be concluded instead of dragging on for months or years with the threat of real life interfering or forcing indefinite hiatus.

Doctor Robo wrote:- Regarding the number of characters: This is honestly a side effect of having so many talented artists and writers contributing stories to the Metrobay universe over the past several years. In addition to using some of the characters we have already established, I have encouraged our contributors to create new ones in order to continue to world-build and allow everyone a larger sandbox to play with. This goes for civilians as well as heroines. Does that mean we have too many? Perhaps. But I think that’s a good problem to have, especially if we can do a better job of recycling older characters instead of creating new ones which are too similar and duplicate some of those same character traits. We could certainly do a better job of policing that.

New characters don’t bother me if they’re interesting. I think the need to create them is exasperated by these super long arcs spanning multiple stories that have kept many characters in limbo and narratively unavailable.

Regarding civilians, my issue is more to do with how they are used more than the fact that they are civilians. They could be interesting if they were actively involved in the plot and developed as characters. What makes them tiring is that more often than not, they are given zero agency and predictable fates.

As far as I can tell, they merely serve the purpose of having massive proportions and walking into a room where they are instantly controlled, converted, or transformed by some mechanism after minimal to no resistance without any hope of escape. They face antagonists (horny scientist, misguided robot/AI, sex robot purveyors, etc.) with no clear motive beyond using them as sex objects. They spend the next update nude and repeating the phrase “Yes, master” in a variety of poses and positions, ostensibly to demonstrate the subject’s mindlessness until the next hapless victim walks through the door. Rinse, repeat. This formula is already pretty bland when superheroines are involved but it is especially so with already subservient robots or newly introduced, defenseless civilians who lack reader investment. Simply featuring a different flavor of control, transformation, or conversion mechanism (nanomachines, plastics, tights, alien fluids, bras, headsets, cybernetics, bimbos, dolls, breasts, etc.) doesn’t make for an interesting story alone.

When these mechanisms are used as a plot device to advance a story, they are immensely more interesting. Are these characters being used to rob a bank? Is this character a whistleblower that must be silenced or a politician that needs to be embarrassed? Are there reasons the control can be subverted? Is there anybody who is trying to free them? It needs to be more than just satisfying a particular niche of sexy time if they mean to interest a wider audience. I am most enthusiastic about the stories on the site that ask and answer these types of questions in interesting ways and there are plenty that do.

Doctor Robo wrote:- Regarding “The Drone Agenda”: I FUCKING GOT IT.

Just kidding! :P In all seriousness, TDA will begin to end - if that makes sense - with “Cell Block XXX”, which will start as soon as we are done with “Caught in the Headlights” - which only has a handful of chapters left. So the end is in sight. You might need enhanced vision to see it, but it’s there. I promise!

So in a couple of years? ;) In all seriousness, I think Drone Agenda is the example that well encapsulates these complaints. For quite a while, it seemed like its entire point was an excuse to retell the same story forever. It's been good seeing authors deviate from the formula in recent stories as things lead to a conclusion.

Though I've found it drastically more interesting than Drone Agenda, the Apex Alliance arc threatens to become another narrative bottleneck for character availability, with no end in sight as it continues to expand its scope. Is a conclusion somewhere on the horizon?

Doctor Robo wrote:Thanks again for the great responses. These really help us devise a clear strategy for MetrobayComix.com moving forward. Please keep the answers - and questions - coming!

- Doc

Thanks for asking!

I realize that there’s a lot in motion that make these issues difficult to address but I must admit that when these issues get compounded, I become less enthusiastic about regularly checking in on the site.

lods

Postby lods » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:25 pm

It is a bunch of complicated moving parts. Speaking of the Making Friends comic... Making Friends is doing a great job of fleshing out some civilians (seriously, they have more backstory than some civilians that have been around for longer). However, yeah, it is a good example of how stories can sometimes get stuck in a rut. I get the need for the sexy time but they've been stuck in his basement since issue 11 was released back at the start of October (so basically, over half the time has been devoted to the brain swap hijinks in his basement). I don't think the problem was the brain body swap for that period of time, just how that was literally the only thing that happened in all that time. Like, what happened to the people that were making fun of them in issue 10?

But yeah, just thought I'd throw my thoughts about Making Friends in the mix since it was brought up as an example. That isn't to say I don't like the work. I mean, I care enough to post. And I hope it doesn't look like I'm singling out Making Friends and (and by extension Fin and Doc).

WikkidLester

Postby WikkidLester » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 pm

lods wrote:It is a bunch of complicated moving parts. Speaking of the Making Friends comic... Making Friends is doing a great job of fleshing out some civilians (seriously, they have more backstory than some civilians that have been around for longer). However, yeah, it is a good example of how stories can sometimes get stuck in a rut. I get the need for the sexy time but they've been stuck in his basement since issue 11 was released back at the start of October (so basically, over half the time has been devoted to the brain swap hijinks in his basement). I don't think the problem was the brain body swap for that period of time, just how that was literally the only thing that happened in all that time. Like, what happened to the people that were making fun of them in issue 10?

But yeah, just thought I'd throw my thoughts about Making Friends in the mix since it was brought up as an example. That isn't to say I don't like the work. I mean, I care enough to post. And I hope it doesn't look like I'm singling out Making Friends and (and by extension Fin and Doc).

I can only really say that everything will make sense and all tie together (unlike a certain other story *sins* that has a bunch of loose ends). So... plenty more NEW things to come here.

Also, if there is an issue with the art in this one, I'm the one to blame. Not fin. I don't want to suck so bad that fin catches shrapnel ;)

lods

Postby lods » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Derp derp. Didn't put your name in my comment. I momentarily was conflating it with Caught in the Headlights (which also prominently features robots in basements).

Trishbot

Postby Trishbot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:44 pm

jabbers wrote:
Though I've found it drastically more interesting than Drone Agenda, the Apex Alliance arc threatens to become another narrative bottleneck for character availability, with no end in sight as it continues to expand its scope. Is a conclusion somewhere on the horizon?

Actually... sorta? We are actively working on the plans for the Apex Alliance. Big things are in store.
Do I like mind control, or am I just mind controlled to like mind control?

cyberbobmkii

Postby cyberbobmkii » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Trishbot wrote:
lods wrote:

Actually... sorta? We are actively working on the plans for the Apex Alliance. Big things are in store.

Do you mean that the current Sera Solas plot line is coming to an end, or the entire Alliance itself? I was under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that the Alliance was going to be a permanent fixture in Metrobay, like ROPE and the Super Heroine Squad.

lods

Postby lods » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 am

Trishbot wrote:
not-lods wrote:

And since the theme of the day is people missing names and stuff, I didn't say that quote. ;D

MacroLass

Postby MacroLass » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 am

Trishbot wrote:
lods wrote:

BIG plans.

Hint hint.

alfredenewman

Postby alfredenewman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:54 pm

i don`t mind a story lasting a long time as the superheroines are getting caught and having sex with male villains(whether they are brainwashed,hypnotised or whatever) and kept that way.i hate watching a story that goes on and on no sex with male villains;especially omega woman and ms.metrobay and others.also need more male villain on(sex with) superheroine.

Haight

Postby Haight » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Three things:

1. Less decompression - keep the plot and the events moving.

2. Less status quo - have characters' changes, both physical and mental, stick with them. The obsession with status quo is one of the worst aspects of the superhero genre, in my opinion. If you have a character that you can't bear to see changed long term... maybe don't use them in transformation stories.

3. Less mindlessness - This might just come down to kink preference, but for me it takes a lot of the heat out of things. I love to see personalities get altered, heroines hypnotized into falling in love with villains, and so on, but the mindlessness just takes the fun out of it, most of time.

Stuff that's awesome:

1. Proportions - I love the busty characters. Keep that up. And I love to see them have already-large proportions get swollen even larger.

2. Mind control - despite my comment about mindlessness earlier, it is a *big* turnon.

3. Romance - some of the characters have genuine affection for each other. It's nice to see positive emotions in erotica (instead of endless waves of emotional blankness or humiliation and shame). I love it when characters have relationships that are very, very kinky, but also very loving... and if they got there through mind control, so much the better!

Return to “Questions and Answers”