"Caught in the Headlights" #32

Story by Doctor Robo, art by MCtek and Finister Foul, postwork by Trishbot.
Doctor Robo

"Caught in the Headlights" #32

Postby Doctor Robo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:17 pm

Hey Metrobay fans! Finister Foul, Trishbot, and Doctor Robo are back this week with a brand new chapter of "Caught in the Headlights", and you can read it right now in the NEW members gallery of MetrobayComix.com!

While Lisa and Omegabot give Vivian her money's worth up on the stage, Ted and Gilbert sneak into Cyberstar's basement workshop looking to shut down the entire Headlights operation. But, they don't realize they're being followed...

Link to new members gallery: http://www.metrobaycomix.com/members/ne ... egory/1289

jabbers

Re: "Caught in the Headlights" #32

Postby jabbers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:44 am

Viv's penchant for dirty talk was amusing and the accidental way they manage stall for time is clever. It does seem strange that she administers a warning in this situation though. Both Galatea and now this loophole feel a bit too convenient, especially given how much Cyber's technical prowess has been touted thus far.

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 am

jabbers wrote:Viv's penchant for dirty talk was amusing and the accidental way they manage stall for time is clever. It does seem strange that she administers a warning in this situation though. Both Galatea and now this loophole feel a bit too convenient, especially given how much Cyber's technical prowess has been touted thus far.

Hey Jabbers. Thanks for the comment. How would you have done things differently?

- Doc

lods

Postby lods » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Well can't say for jabbers but I want to see more of Galatea hacking/being sassy.

jabbers

Postby jabbers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:
jabbers wrote:Viv's penchant for dirty talk was amusing and the accidental way they manage stall for time is clever. It does seem strange that she administers a warning in this situation though. Both Galatea and now this loophole feel a bit too convenient, especially given how much Cyber's technical prowess has been touted thus far.

Hey Jabbers. Thanks for the comment. How would you have done things differently?

- Doc

I think one issue is that Cyber has seemed nearly infallible, executing her plan nearly unopposed and easily overcoming any hint of an obstacle. Some foreshadowing would help in this regard. As amusing as the accidental discovery of the logic loophole is, it comes out of nowhere. Previously exhibiting the override or having clues about why it exists (or why it was left in place or overlooked) would help.

Having her face some more opposition could also organically provide hints about her potential vulnerabilities even if they aren’t successfully exploited then and there. Perhaps Galatea could have put up more resistance to help demonstrate why subterfuge was her best course of action. Is she incapable of running and raising the alarm while she was still at headquarters? Since she seemed completely successful in her charade and seems to have been left to her own devices to solicit customers, it’s not clear to me why she didn’t just leave and alert the Squad.

I could see her deciding it’s not an emergency. Minus the bot thefts, the business doesn’t seem particularly criminal. Ultimately, since the story involves just the bots, the stakes seem low and it lacks urgency. The squad might be concerned about the controlled guard, the break in at HQ, and the stolen bots, but what’s at risk if the bots aren’t recovered and the business continues operation?

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:23 pm

jabbers wrote:
Doctor Robo wrote:

- Doc

I think one issue is that Cyber has seemed nearly infallible, executing her plan nearly unopposed and easily overcoming any hint of an obstacle. Some foreshadowing would help in this regard. As amusing as the accidental discovery of the logic loophole is, it comes out of nowhere. Previously exhibiting the override or having clues about why it exists (or why it was left in place or overlooked) would help.

Having her face some more opposition could also organically provide hints about her potential vulnerabilities even if they aren’t successfully exploited then and there. Perhaps Galatea could have put up more resistance to help demonstrate why subterfuge was her best course of action. Is she incapable of running and raising the alarm while she was still at headquarters? Since she seemed completely successful in her charade and seems to have been left to her own devices to solicit customers, it’s not clear to me why she didn’t just leave and alert the Squad.

I could see her deciding it’s not an emergency. Minus the bot thefts, the business doesn’t seem particularly criminal. Ultimately, since the story involves just the bots, the stakes seem low and it lacks urgency. The squad might be concerned about the controlled guard, the break in at HQ, and the stolen bots, but what’s at risk if the bots aren’t recovered and the business continues operation?

Good points all around.

- I know we have shown and describer Cyberstar to be an expert hacker, but she hasn't had to engage any heroines (or fellow criminals, for that matter) in anything resembling open conflict. Perhaps that's something we could set up in another story. I think we have a couple of heroines who would make logical rivals for Cyberstar.

- You're right, from the Superheroine Squad's point of view this is a fairly low stakes crime ring they're dealing with here. But I have a feeling Ted and Gilbert would feel differently if you ask them.

lods

Postby lods » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:29 am

I actually like that she is a relatively low key villain. While it could be cool if she got a bit more time in the comics I wouldn't want her to become yet another ROPE villain. (I actually hope we get to see more of what the control unit decides to do with her... assuming she isn't just left connected to a computer.)

Return to “Caught in the Headlights”