How would I start in 3D Art?

We know you have questions about Metrobay Comix. This is the place to ask them. We'll also ask you what you think of our stories and characters.
greyscribbler

How would I start in 3D Art?

Postby greyscribbler » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi

Back in 2015 Finister Foul made a comment "we could do something like that... maybe tutorials for folks who'd like to try their hand at 3d comic art."

I'm not going to ask for that. But I would like to some advice on how a complete novice could get started.
- what's the best tools to use? Blender? Poser? Daz? other?
- does that cover everything, including poses, facial expressions, scenes, costume design, other object design?
- learning rigging
- perhaps most importantly, what online courses, guides, tutorials would you recommend to learn how to do all this?

And yes, I'm probably being stupidly ambitious, but I won't know until I try. Right?

Thanks in advance

Greyscribbler

Trishbot

Re: How would I start in 3D Art?

Postby Trishbot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Let me pipe in and see if I can offer my opinion and advice.

I use DAZ 3D Studio. The benefits are numerous; it's not "the" most advanced of the tools out there, but it has some major advantages in that 1) it's completely FREE and 2) it's heavily supported by the community and developers (even with proprietary models) and can almost do everything the others can do for the act of rendering a pretty picture. It has plenty of robust tools we barely use (we could do animations if we were more ambitious) and it has tons of plug-ins both official and third-party that can shape it into a very potent rendering program. Poser is equally valid and most of our artists alternate between the two.

DAZ 3D also includes tutorials to help out, and many of the basics are very intuitive to figure out. The vast majority of models are ALREADY pre-rigged so no rigging is involved on our end. It's as simple as clicking on a limb and moving it or clicking on a face and adjusting the expression in the options panels that come up.

The best advice I can give is to dive in and play around with it. There are websites with thousands of free props, morphs, clothing, and models to use for any given scene (I download a free prop at least once a week), and there's enough "pre-made" stuff out there that helps us along (pre-made lighting sets, pre-made camera angles, pre-made skin shaders, pre-made morphs). You'll get the most bang for your buck with official morphs for the major models though (stuff like Genesis and Victoria figures, etc.)

And, of course, you can always ask us for help for any given situation.
Do I like mind control, or am I just mind controlled to like mind control?

FinisterFoul

Postby FinisterFoul » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:28 pm

I agree with Trishbot.

All of us Metrobay artists use either Poser or DAZ Studio.

DAZ Studio is probably easiest these days for beginners because it comes with the latest basic Genesis people.

These programs allow you to use pre-rigged 3d people like they are 3d barbies basically. They wear hair and clothes that come as sets for free or bought. You can also get photo-real skin textures for them and morph their faces and bodies. Also vendors sell tons of pre-made pose sets.

These days there are a ton of tutorials on Youtube - especially for DAZ Studio.

For the dialogue balloons and captions there is a program called Comiclife if you are not savvy with Photoshop or Gimp. Comiclife will fit you text into a balloon automatically and has page templates, etc.

And you don't need a art degree to figure it out. I started out with very little computer knowledge and no art background. If I can do this then anyone can.

It does require a big time investment. Though I have seen some new artists just start fantastic from the beginning. But these artists usually have had a background in 2d art like Photoshop.

Good luck!!

seg

Postby seg » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Here's some money saving tips.

It's true you can get started for free. Know that there are now 8 generations of Victoria, so at some point, you will have to pick a favorite when you start making purchases. Most of the free stuff is Genesis, which is the generation that Victoria 5 and Michael 5 belong to. You could probably get a lot of mileage on the cheap, out of products for Genesis.

Genesis 8 (Victoria 8) looks really promising, but I don't own too much of it myself, perhaps someday.

Once you end up investing in one of the Victoria's (5 through 8) pro bundle, you will be wanting the body & head morphs too.

A pro bundle isn't cheap, but with patience, you will find it on sale eventually. You'll want to hold out for somewhere around 70% off if you want to save money. That is actually good advice for any product you buy. Even the memberships go on sale sometimes (and those are cool too.)

Finding a bundle on sale is ideal. It contains several products.

Read ALL the descriptions before making a purchase. Find out if a product is part of a bundle before buying it individually.

And be very careful not to buy a product that you already have. I have done this before! It's not a good feeling.

The main thing is not buying everything you want, but buying what you need, or plan to use.

FinisterFoul

Postby FinisterFoul » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Great advice, Seg!

greyscribbler

Postby greyscribbler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks all

Daz was the one I was favouring, so I'll give it a try. Does its suite also include software for modelling furniture and props? I know it has a large online shop, but I doubt that includes sinister brainwashing devices ;-)

Thanks

Greyscribbelr

ajiehb

Postby ajiehb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:19 pm

greyscribbler wrote:Thanks all

Daz was the one I was favouring, so I'll give it a try. Does its suite also include software for modelling furniture and props? I know it has a large online shop, but I doubt that includes sinister brainwashing devices ;-)

Thanks

Greyscribbelr

Most of that cool sinister stuff is at Renderotica site. Just google it ;)

Tecknophyle

Postby Tecknophyle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks

Greyscribbelr

You can find models like that (usually for pay). Neither DAZStudio or Poser are modeling programs. If you want to actually make new things, you'll need a proper 3D modelling program.

greyscribbler

Postby greyscribbler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 am

ajiehb wrote:

Thanks

Greyscribbelr

Most of that cool sinister stuff is at Renderotica site. Just google it ;)

So I see - thanks!

Greyscribbler

greyscribbler

Postby greyscribbler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 am

Tecknophyle wrote:

Thanks

Greyscribbelr

You can find models like that (usually for pay). Neither DAZStudio or Poser are modeling programs. If you want to actually make new things, you'll need a proper 3D modelling program.

Which one would you suggest?

Greyscribbler

Tecknophyle

Postby Tecknophyle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 pm

greyscribbler wrote:
Tecknophyle wrote:

Thanks

Greyscribbelr

Greyscribbler

I use Modo myself, but there are many, many options.

greyscribbler

Postby greyscribbler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:
greyscribbler wrote:
Tecknophyle wrote:

Thanks

Greyscribbelr

Greyscribbler

I use Modo myself, but there are many, many options.

Thanks

Greyscribbler

seg

Postby seg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:19 am

seg wrote:Even the memberships go on sale sometimes (and those are cool too.)

This is the best time of year. Today (Sunday) at least, they are offering 40% off annual memberships. Now, it's always possible there will be a better deal than that sometime this month, but if anyone can't wait to get a membership, this might be a good time!

seg

Postby seg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 am

seg wrote:This is the best time of year. Today (Sunday) at least, they are offering 40% off annual memberships. Now, it's always possible there will be a better deal than that sometime this month, but if anyone can't wait to get a membership, this might be a good time!

Yeah, in fact there might actually be a better deal in the near future. I just noticed the 40% off applies only after buying a new release from today.

I didn't follow my own advice: Read everything!

Return to “Questions and Answers”