Member's Gallery Down?

We know you have questions about Metrobay Comix. This is the place to ask them. We'll also ask you what you think of our stories and characters.
lods

Re: Member's Gallery Down?

Postby lods » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 am

Doctor Robo wrote:
teflon_tim wrote:...Any news? :(

Nothing new to report. I don't want to get into specific details, but I'm told the host server was infected with malware, which is causing additional problems.

Hopefully we will have some good news Friday night.

Yeah... I suspected the malware thing. Are our passwords compromised? I assume this isn't the billing system that was infected.

Bluemax2

Postby Bluemax2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Doc,
As a longtime subscriber/member/fan, I'm sorry to see that the site is down and do hope your folks can fix it very soon. Will we be getting credit for the time down or perhaps a free month for lack of access during this period?

DingleBerry

Postby DingleBerry » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:36 pm

I strongly suspect this downtime has absolutely nothing to do with Metrobay Comics, and everything to do with the hoster screwing up a system install/update. They will say/do anything to lessen their own liability. Wouldn't it be a nice world, if when things like this happen, they simply said, 'Hey we screwed up, we are trying to fix it and we will make it right in the end."... Instead, we will hear endless hot air.

As for the storage requirements for this site... it can't be that large. I've seen some huge coppermine PHP galleries I'd guess 40-60GB at most. But from a storage perspective this site is easy. The images are simply stored, they aren't randomly generated or cached. And the images are probably not even stored in the DB (only the path to the directories with them). The latter makes the DB fairly small, and storage rather simple.

lods

Postby lods » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Yeah, the info we've received has been pretty weird (why I wasn't surprised that they were probably pretty infested with malware too). Wish this site had a system a bit more like mc comics/mc theatre. Oh well.

cyberbobmkii

Postby cyberbobmkii » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Well the home page looks a little better. So...progress?

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 pm

lods wrote:Yeah... I suspected the malware thing. Are our passwords compromised? I assume this isn't the billing system that was infected.

As far as I know, the billing/login system is independent from the actual gallery. But that's a good question that I will bring to the attention of our tech support team.

- Doc

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 am

Bluemax2 wrote:Doc,
As a longtime subscriber/member/fan, I'm sorry to see that the site is down and do hope your folks can fix it very soon. Will we be getting credit for the time down or perhaps a free month for lack of access during this period?

Hi Bluemax. Honestly, I don't know if we would be able to provide the sort of compensation you suggest. We do not have the ability to extend or in any way access the accounts of our members, as a matter of privacy and security. However, we are having discussions to figure out a way to get our comix to our members ASAP. We'll have an announcement on that very soon.

- Doc

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:44 am

DingleBerry wrote:I strongly suspect this downtime has absolutely nothing to do with Metrobay Comics, and everything to do with the hoster screwing up a system install/update. They will say/do anything to lessen their own liability. Wouldn't it be a nice world, if when things like this happen, they simply said, 'Hey we screwed up, we are trying to fix it and we will make it right in the end."... Instead, we will hear endless hot air.

As for the storage requirements for this site... it can't be that large. I've seen some huge coppermine PHP galleries I'd guess 40-60GB at most. But from a storage perspective this site is easy. The images are simply stored, they aren't randomly generated or cached. And the images are probably not even stored in the DB (only the path to the directories with them). The latter makes the DB fairly small, and storage rather simple.

We can only go by what we've been told, but sadly you're probably at least partially correct. Erotic Illusions has been a great host and partner for us over the past several years, so we have no reason to think they aren't giving it their all to get this fixed. But they have their own technicians and service providers they have to deal with, and I suspect that's where the actual trouble lies.

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:45 am

lods wrote:Yeah, the info we've received has been pretty weird (why I wasn't surprised that they were probably pretty infested with malware too). Wish this site had a system a bit more like mc comics/mc theatre. Oh well.

In what way?

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:45 am

cyberbobmkii wrote:Well the home page looks a little better. So...progress?

Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure what you saw, but as far as i know there's been nothing new to report.

lods

Postby lods » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 am

Doctor Robo wrote:
lods wrote:Yeah, the info we've received has been pretty weird (why I wasn't surprised that they were probably pretty infested with malware too). Wish this site had a system a bit more like mc comics/mc theatre. Oh well.

In what way?

The experience between the various parts are better connected (so the forum and gallery are the same account, the account details can be more easily updated). The UI is better (search works for one). HTTPS. It is just generally a more robust system.

TheAngelicOne

Postby TheAngelicOne » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm

I would only assume comics are still being worked on while this issue's getting resolved, so maybe when the site is restored maybe do a week of Daily Double Updates to get through the backlog? Maybe some covers in the style of classic "Double Feature" movie posters so every issue gets equal attention even if the daily double is not by the same artist?

FinisterFoul

Postby FinisterFoul » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:58 pm

TheAngelicOne wrote:I would only assume comics are still being worked on while this issue's getting resolved, so maybe when the site is restored maybe do a week of Daily Double Updates to get through the backlog? Maybe some covers in the style of classic "Double Feature" movie posters so every issue gets equal attention even if the daily double is not by the same artist?

Hi AngelicOne,

Yes - we plan to add extra content during the rest of July as an appreciation to you all for your patience during this downtime.

When the gallery is back up ( hopefully very soon ) we will also be adding all the updates from this past week in a bundle instead of one at a time like usual.

Thank you all for your great patience. We know you all pay good money to see a steady stream of content.

Ms_Scarlett_Raven

Postby Ms_Scarlett_Raven » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:49 pm

FinisterFoul wrote:
TheAngelicOne wrote:I would only assume comics are still being worked on while this issue's getting resolved, so maybe when the site is restored maybe do a week of Daily Double Updates to get through the backlog? Maybe some covers in the style of classic "Double Feature" movie posters so every issue gets equal attention even if the daily double is not by the same artist?

Hi AngelicOne,

Yes - we plan to add extra content during the rest of July as an appreciation to you all for your patience during this downtime.

When the gallery is back up ( hopefully very soon ) we will also be adding all the updates from this past week in a bundle instead of one at a time like usual.

Thank you all for your great patience. We know you all pay good money to see a steady stream of content.

I for one like the mega update suggestion. That way the release schedule won't be affected too much.

Hope the gallery is back up soon. I am starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

FinisterFoul

Postby FinisterFoul » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks Ms Scarlett Raven!

Softsubversion

Postby Softsubversion » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 pm

The site is a mess right now. Even with the stories posted in the new free gallery link it takes forever to get through them because once you get here it's like you're using dial up. As soon as I get off here my speed flies as usual.

This is taking too long. I have a pretty strong feeling there are more problems with this than has been said. I work in a tech industry and I can't help but feel that way. It just is not adding up to the explanations or the time it would take to fix the stated issues.

Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 am

Softsubversion wrote:The site is a mess right now. Even with the stories posted in the new free gallery link it takes forever to get through them because once you get here it's like you're using dial up. As soon as I get off here my speed flies as usual.

This is taking too long. I have a pretty strong feeling there are more problems with this than has been said. I work in a tech industry and I can't help but feel that way. It just is not adding up to the explanations or the time it would take to fix the stated issues.

You're 100% correct. The site IS a mess, and this IS taking too long. Unfortunately we don't have any additional information for you other than what we have already shared.

The most recent update we have been given is the server that hosts our site was infected with a virus around the same time that the gallery issues we first reported started happening. Apparently this virus is a particularly nasty one, and is taking a long time to disinfect. I am not present as these repairs are being made, so I can't give you regular updates as to the progress of the fix. All I can do is reiterate that our tech support team is working on a solution, and continue to provide updates in this space as I receive them.

I understand your frustration, because I feel the same way. We all do. I don't blame you if you're starting to get annoyed. Frankly, I have been blown away by the patience and understanding our members have shown us thus far. But I understand that patience is starting to wear thin. I wish I had a better solution than the temporary free gallery folder, but as I previously mentioned I don't have the ability to extend subscriptions or otherwise access members' profiles for privacy and security reasons. So I'm left with very few options to appease our loyal and supportive members while this issue drags on. If anyone has any suggestions we would certainly love to hear them.

- Doc

Softsubversion

Postby Softsubversion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 am

Doc,

Thanks for the response. It is frustrating. Not really at anyone at the site, but the idiots who made and used that virus like a electronic missile. The thing that gets me is all viruses are made to hurt or destroy something that was created. I have a punishment in mind for those who do create and send out virus's and it's not what they get now if caught. Its a little bit more than the current law. I respect creation and art in any and all forms and when this happens its like burning a book or taking a knife to a painting. From what has happened and the time of repair it must have been something very malevolent and very good, in a bad way.

Oh well, venting is over. Back to the wait. It will end sometime.

lods

Postby lods » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:23 am

I mostly just wish you guys had a better platform so you wouldn't have to struggle with the tech. The site served you guys well but it is a bit revenge of the 2000s. Oh, that could be a fun story, Cyber Grrl stumbles upon an old Gopher server for the Omega Woman fan site. It was somehow still active in the university basement and was infected with a 1990 virus that has been running for all those years (becoming self aware and then slowly going insane with only extremely old Omega Woman content to spend the time waiting desperately for new content). It takes over Cyber Grrl's mind and uses her to try to expand itself into the new age of mobile. :lol:

Return to “Questions and Answers”